Skip to main content

How to: Time to Edit Your Book, Three Easy Ways to Start

Let's face it, as a writer you will get to the point when it's time to edit your book. It's definitely not one of my favourite things in the world to do, but it feels so good when it's done (especially when it is done right). The story reads so much better. That being said, these are the first three things you can check before you completely reread your own book.

 No need to fear when it's time to edit your book.
It is possible to make the editing phase easier on yourself. 

Wait Before You Edit Your Book

This was mentioned before on another post. You should wait before you edit your book, as it will allow you to forget about the details. When you go back to your book, it should be as if you're a "almost" new reader. This way, you can spot when there is a loophole. This saved me from my current book in editing. I noticed that I have no idea what was going on in the beginning. After I added a chapter, the story was a lot better to understand.


Captain Obvious' Tip: Use the Spellchecker

The simplest thing you can do is run through your document using the spellchecker. It can often pick up on things you read over (it is super easy to miss typos). Since this is the most exciting thing to do, we are hardly tempted to skip this step, right? Where it is easy to skip this step, it's recommended to run it at least once. This might also be mighty helpful if you used the "replace all" function (shakes head, tut-tut) and it made some unwanted mess-ups.

Find It and Fix It

Next to the spellchecker, the "Find" function can save a lot of time. You will want to search for words you often mix up. My spellchecker doesn't pick up "cant" as a mistake, which means "can't" often turns into "cant". This is one of the words I check. Make yourself a list of problems and use the "Find" function to replace it with the correct one (if needed). The shortcut for it is usually "Ctrl + f".

If you need a place to start, you can look for these:

  • that/which/who
  • who/whom
  • good/well
  • cant/can't
  • a lot/alot
  • affect/effect
  • further/farther
  • it's/its
  • lay/lie
  • less/fewer
  • your/you're
  • they're/their/there
  • pled/pleaded
  • a while/awhile
  • grey/gray
  • weather/whether
  • desert/dessert 

Also, it would be wise to decide whether you use UK English or USA English. Whichever you choose, make sure you stick to it. Once you have done all you can with your non-reading checks, it is time to move on to the bigger picture.

You are welcome to tell me of confusing words. I will add it to my list and we can create the ultimate "Find" function list. Happy editing!

Photo credit: Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar Geek: Is It Believe In, Believe On or Believe That?

Since last week's post was on believe or belief , I decided to ask whether it's believe in , believe on  or believe that . All of these are correct and do get used. The questions are when, where, why and how. Here it is in what I hope is the simplest way to explain it and the easiest way to remember it. Believe In and Believe That Correlation A certain professor, H. H. Price , came to the conclusion that there is a difference between believe in  and believe that . To him, it came down to this, “Surely belief-in is an attitude to a person, whether human or divine, while belief-that is just an attitude to a proposition?” This makes perfect sense considering the words in and that . Personally, in  sounds a lot more involved and personal, whereas that  seems distant. Get that  away from me. Come on in . That might just be me though. However, this view might make things easier. What if this thinking was indeed the correct manner? To believe in someone is intimate. If you

Throne Room | Contact Me Photo Manipulation for The Castle Completed

The Throne Room (or Contact Me) photo manipulation for The Castle is complete ( see it here )! I like seeing how my abilities increase just a little every time I work on something new. I am definitely faster and more at ease to create certain moods and effects. My only issue is that I am not sure about how to create different effects. I got the photos for this photo manipulation here: Background Carpet Knight Statue Ivy 1 Ivy 2 Mural Stars Let me know what you think of this!

Update: A New Start for Scribe's Realm

As a full-time employee, I hardly have time to handle Scribe's Realm and write my stories. But! My artistic wife has agreed to help me, which means from now on, you should see more posts and some writings (we hope). We are very excited about our plans with Scribe's Realm and we are busy implementing them already. Here is what is coming your way this month. New Logo Design This is Scribe's Realm logo. We believe it brings forth what we want for Scribe's Realm: fantasy with a little touch of olden times. As I mentioned before ( here ), I want a complete new look for Scribe's Realm. We (this term will be used from now on for my wife and I) decided on a colour theme and our new logo is finally done. Photo of the Week Posts Every week, on Thursday (if we can stick to it), we will put up a photo of the week. We love photography and we have been learning new skills to take better photos. We hope that you will enjoy these photos, as much as we