Skip to main content

Midlife Crisis in the Twenties

This is my Naruto picture gone bad. It looked a lot better before I coloured it...


Apparently, I am going through some type of midlife crisis. It is a really strange story, which makes me doubt in my sanity. This midlife crisis was brought on by anime, or more specifically, Naruto and now Boruto. Please be warned that there might be spoilers in here for some people.

Naruto as my Conscience

In my teenage years, which feels so far away now, I watched Naruto. It just came out in my country when I was about 14. Anime wasn't exactly big back then, and I had very few friends I could share my passion with. 

Yet, whether I had someone to share it with or not, I spent a lot of my free time living in that world. I would imagine myself fighting along Naruto and the others (often taking the slot on the teams of the less important characters, sorry Tenten). Further, I enjoyed writing and drawing fan art, which I either hid away or put on Deviantart. 

As you can tell, my entire life revolved around Naruto. It didn't stop there, either. By channeling my Naruto fighting spirit, I managed to find inner strength. I decided that if he can do what he does, then I can, too. Making Naruto my active conscience made me enjoy exercising and I also refused to eat whenever I was watching it (no pigging out in front of the TV). It was all good, and no bad.

The Midlife Crisis Began

Naruto moved on, and so did I. My life changed so rapidly and dramatically after school that Naruto took a backseat. I willingly said goodbye, but I still flourished without my teenage companions. 

At the start of last year, I had to move country (again). I started watching Naruto again, as my life turned into some soap opera that I felt little attachment to. I can't seem to cope with the move this time and I hoped that Naruto's strength will once again give me strength; lame, I know.

After I finished watching the devastating end of Neji's life, I realised the horrible truth of life itself. At my age, you would think I would know these truths. These truths were increased as the injustices of everyone's lives were thrown into my face (and this counts for real-life, too). 

For example, disasters are happening all around us. Sometimes I wonder how we are still holding on to a crumbling world. Watching my homeland burn and flood at the same time, I found myself worried. Usually it helps to watch Naruto force his way through terrible things, but this time his struggles made it worse. 

Naruto's Death  

These struggles were for nothing. Only yesterday I found out what Boruto has in store for us. Naruto dies? What? I hate this idea, but I know it's needed to create the next generation. No one can live forever, not even Naruto. For some reason, I am not ready to let go, and the unwillingness created the mess that was named Midlife Crisis.

Naruto dying showed me just how life is. He never grew old, yet he was so strong (in more ways than one). He inspired people, but he never had an easy life. He had to fight for everything he had, but he never did bring the peace he fought for. Peace is unattainable.

There is Good News

On the other hand, there is one thing we can take away from Naruto. He did teach us that you can live and die the best way you can. We will all die one day, whether we want to or not. But we can make the decision to make a difference before we do.

Naruto could easily have been like Sasuke, but he chose to be more. We will never have an easy life, but we can make the most of it. I always try to think that we can have it worse. I know there is worse. Maybe knowing this will make me get over this phase sooner.

Until then, I will hang on and stop watching Naruto and Boruto. I will use it as inspiration, but not as a lifeline. I believe I have crossed an invisible line that read Warning, you are turning into a complete delusional geek. Turn around now and now I am making my way back.

Have you ever crossed that line with your hobbies?
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar Geek: Is It Believe In, Believe On or Believe That?

Since last week's post was on believe or belief , I decided to ask whether it's believe in , believe on  or believe that . All of these are correct and do get used. The questions are when, where, why and how. Here it is in what I hope is the simplest way to explain it and the easiest way to remember it. Believe In and Believe That Correlation A certain professor, H. H. Price , came to the conclusion that there is a difference between believe in  and believe that . To him, it came down to this, “Surely belief-in is an attitude to a person, whether human or divine, while belief-that is just an attitude to a proposition?” This makes perfect sense considering the words in and that . Personally, in  sounds a lot more involved and personal, whereas that  seems distant. Get that  away from me. Come on in . That might just be me though. However, this view might make things easier. What if this thinking was indeed the correct manner? To believe in someone is intimate. If you

Throne Room | Contact Me Photo Manipulation for The Castle Completed

The Throne Room (or Contact Me) photo manipulation for The Castle is complete ( see it here )! I like seeing how my abilities increase just a little every time I work on something new. I am definitely faster and more at ease to create certain moods and effects. My only issue is that I am not sure about how to create different effects. I got the photos for this photo manipulation here: Background Carpet Knight Statue Ivy 1 Ivy 2 Mural Stars Let me know what you think of this!

Update: A New Start for Scribe's Realm

As a full-time employee, I hardly have time to handle Scribe's Realm and write my stories. But! My artistic wife has agreed to help me, which means from now on, you should see more posts and some writings (we hope). We are very excited about our plans with Scribe's Realm and we are busy implementing them already. Here is what is coming your way this month. New Logo Design This is Scribe's Realm logo. We believe it brings forth what we want for Scribe's Realm: fantasy with a little touch of olden times. As I mentioned before ( here ), I want a complete new look for Scribe's Realm. We (this term will be used from now on for my wife and I) decided on a colour theme and our new logo is finally done. Photo of the Week Posts Every week, on Thursday (if we can stick to it), we will put up a photo of the week. We love photography and we have been learning new skills to take better photos. We hope that you will enjoy these photos, as much as we