Skip to main content

Which or That: The Grammar Battle Commences

Should I use which or that? This is the focus of my grammar post (which I might make a series while I edit my work). I am currently focused on retraining my brain on correct grammar usage. This is something any writer should do. I am by no means perfect and I do make many mistakes. But, since I am learning the rules, I can share these with you. 

At the moment, I am editing a short story to put on this blog for you to read. Practice makes perfect, or so I hope. If you would like to read more about how I start off editing my books, click here. For the "which-or-that" ponderers, read on.


Which or That: Is There a Difference?

The which that has many friends is happy. The which, which can easily go away, must be used correctly. These two might not make any sense to you now, but come back to this once you read through all of details. 

The use of which and that is important if you want to sent a clear message to your readers. As writers, we must write a bar above the rest. If we don't, what makes us different from people who are not considered as writers? We set the bar and we show people what writing should look like.

As a grammar-role model, we need to be able to tell the difference between which and that and when to use it. We know which and that gets used for objects and animals, whereas who gets used for people (not always, see this post).

The way to differentiate between these two is quite simple. Think of which as the unrestricted insect that can disappear without you knowing about it. That, on the other hand, is the restricted prince who is always in the centre of attention and must act in certain ways.

The Unrestricted Clause called Which

Which is used when the meaning of the sentence stays the same when it's removed.


Without which, the sentence goes on as normal. The vital meaning behind the sentence is not lost. "I drink a lot of water" is the point I want to make with this sentence. The second part, "which is good for my body" is an afterthought. It's not vital and is often seen between commas.

The Restricted Clause called That

On the contrary, that is vital in a sentence. If you were to remove that and the part (clause) following it from the sentence, the sentence will lose its meaning. 


In this sentence, if you take out "that are of light colour", the sentence will still make sense, but the meaning is lost. What walls make a room look bigger? Not only is the info given in the that-clause vital, but it's also not between commas.  

Thus, all you need to think of when you have to decide between which and that is that you can live without which, but not without that. You can give your examples by leaving a comment!

Image credit: Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar Geek: Is It Believe In, Believe On or Believe That?

Since last week's post was on believe or belief , I decided to ask whether it's believe in , believe on  or believe that . All of these are correct and do get used. The questions are when, where, why and how. Here it is in what I hope is the simplest way to explain it and the easiest way to remember it. Believe In and Believe That Correlation A certain professor, H. H. Price , came to the conclusion that there is a difference between believe in  and believe that . To him, it came down to this, “Surely belief-in is an attitude to a person, whether human or divine, while belief-that is just an attitude to a proposition?” This makes perfect sense considering the words in and that . Personally, in  sounds a lot more involved and personal, whereas that  seems distant. Get that  away from me. Come on in . That might just be me though. However, this view might make things easier. What if this thinking was indeed the correct manner? To believe in someone is intimate. If you

Throne Room | Contact Me Photo Manipulation for The Castle Completed

The Throne Room (or Contact Me) photo manipulation for The Castle is complete ( see it here )! I like seeing how my abilities increase just a little every time I work on something new. I am definitely faster and more at ease to create certain moods and effects. My only issue is that I am not sure about how to create different effects. I got the photos for this photo manipulation here: Background Carpet Knight Statue Ivy 1 Ivy 2 Mural Stars Let me know what you think of this!

Update: A New Start for Scribe's Realm

As a full-time employee, I hardly have time to handle Scribe's Realm and write my stories. But! My artistic wife has agreed to help me, which means from now on, you should see more posts and some writings (we hope). We are very excited about our plans with Scribe's Realm and we are busy implementing them already. Here is what is coming your way this month. New Logo Design This is Scribe's Realm logo. We believe it brings forth what we want for Scribe's Realm: fantasy with a little touch of olden times. As I mentioned before ( here ), I want a complete new look for Scribe's Realm. We (this term will be used from now on for my wife and I) decided on a colour theme and our new logo is finally done. Photo of the Week Posts Every week, on Thursday (if we can stick to it), we will put up a photo of the week. We love photography and we have been learning new skills to take better photos. We hope that you will enjoy these photos, as much as we