Skip to main content

Word Wise: Is It Dreamt or Dreamed?

Hmm, is it dreamt or dreamed? This is once again one of those cases where people can't help but get confused. My spellchecker for one, tells me that dreamt is a spelling mistake. Yet, many of you have heard of both these forms. Both are after all the past tense of dream. 




Of Dreams I Dreamt

Dreamt is just as acceptable as dreamed. Merriam Webster has both these forms under dream. This can be considered as a little strange, as few words have two past tenses. But, even when it is acceptable, dreamt isn't used as much as dreamed. Dreamt is used about 7 times less in American English than dreamed, whereas dreamt in British English is used only 2.5 times less than dreamed. See it here and here on an ngram graph.

Still, the point stands that dreamt drew the short end of the straw. It is clear that it is used more in British English than in American English. Does this make dreamt the British version?

I Dreamed a Dream

The Collins Dictionary had this to say, "American English uses the form dreamed as the past tense and past participle. British English uses either dreamed or dreamt". It's clear that dreamed is the most used version in both British and American English and that dreamed is also considered the American past tense. But which one should you use?

So, Which One Is It Dreamt or Dreamed?

Since both words are correct, you can use your own preference. However, you need to keep in mind that dreamed is more well-known and used. It would be good to know your readers. If most of your readers use American English, dreamt might seem a little out of place to them, whereas the British readers might be more accepting.

At the end of the day, your choice must be written down in your own house-rules. This means you keep with it throughout your written works. Try not to jump between the two versions. Your readers will get used to your writing style, but if you jump between the two versions, they might get a little distracted.

Which will you choose to use? Comment below and let us know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar Geek: Is It Believe In, Believe On or Believe That?

Since last week's post was on believe or belief , I decided to ask whether it's believe in , believe on  or believe that . All of these are correct and do get used. The questions are when, where, why and how. Here it is in what I hope is the simplest way to explain it and the easiest way to remember it. Believe In and Believe That Correlation A certain professor, H. H. Price , came to the conclusion that there is a difference between believe in  and believe that . To him, it came down to this, “Surely belief-in is an attitude to a person, whether human or divine, while belief-that is just an attitude to a proposition?” This makes perfect sense considering the words in and that . Personally, in  sounds a lot more involved and personal, whereas that  seems distant. Get that  away from me. Come on in . That might just be me though. However, this view might make things easier. What if this thinking was indeed the correct manner? To believe in someone is intimate. If you

Throne Room | Contact Me Photo Manipulation for The Castle Completed

The Throne Room (or Contact Me) photo manipulation for The Castle is complete ( see it here )! I like seeing how my abilities increase just a little every time I work on something new. I am definitely faster and more at ease to create certain moods and effects. My only issue is that I am not sure about how to create different effects. I got the photos for this photo manipulation here: Background Carpet Knight Statue Ivy 1 Ivy 2 Mural Stars Let me know what you think of this!

Update: A New Start for Scribe's Realm

As a full-time employee, I hardly have time to handle Scribe's Realm and write my stories. But! My artistic wife has agreed to help me, which means from now on, you should see more posts and some writings (we hope). We are very excited about our plans with Scribe's Realm and we are busy implementing them already. Here is what is coming your way this month. New Logo Design This is Scribe's Realm logo. We believe it brings forth what we want for Scribe's Realm: fantasy with a little touch of olden times. As I mentioned before ( here ), I want a complete new look for Scribe's Realm. We (this term will be used from now on for my wife and I) decided on a colour theme and our new logo is finally done. Photo of the Week Posts Every week, on Thursday (if we can stick to it), we will put up a photo of the week. We love photography and we have been learning new skills to take better photos. We hope that you will enjoy these photos, as much as we